Alpine Race Program 2020/21
The Plattekill Alpine “Renegade” Race Program is back for year #2 after a wildly successful first season. Designed to give children who love to ski an opportunity to improve their technical and general skiing skills with an emphasis on having fun, the program is grounded in the philosophy that children can only become great ski racers by first becoming great skiers.
*** This program is a natural progression from the Junior Development program which is the foundation and feeder program.
AGE & EXPERIENCE
Children ages 7-16 are welcome to join our Alpine Racing Program. A few prerequisites are:
- Must demonstrate parallel dynamic stance in a race environment.
- Must Ski Intermediate (blue square) terrain and ride a chairlift independently.
- Must be able to put on their own equipment.
- Must Ski parallel down intermediate terrain.
- Must have skis and boots appropriate for race environment, pole/hand guards and a hard helmet with chin guard to participate.
ATHLETE DEVELOPMENT & TRAINING
The key to learning is to insure a positive first experience that is fun. When first learning a skill, a relaxed, low-anxiety climate encourages the child to try new things. Framing attainable goals are set within the athletes reach. Our program will train utilizing the NYSSRA Sportsmanship Code of Conduct while emphasizing support and development of emotional and athletic skills.
By clearly identifying goals for each individual, by educating parents on how to support their athlete, they can attain their goal by end of season. Skills execution being at the core of all good skiing, our coaches will develop this by using creative environments and drills developed by U.S. Ski and Snowboard.
Elements during Training:
Speed and Distance Acuity
Agility and Adaptability
Good Sportsmanship behavior
This year we will be aligned with the United States Ski and Snowboard training matrix. This allows for training athletes according to their developmental age groups and skill potential. While utilizing the “Skills Quest Guidelines” for on hill drills and skills development, we will train athletes for future competition and all around better skiing skills. As well as adhere to the appropriate coach/student ratios as recommended by USSS and PSIA.
2019 Christmas Week Holiday Camp – Way to go kids!
DATES & FORMAT
Season Long Programs:
* 12-Week and 8-Week – U14, U12, U10 Programs start January 2 and run consecutive weeks every Saturday and Sunday.
* Holiday Week Camps Xmas Week Camp (Dec 27-31), Presidents Week Slalom Camp (Feb 15-19)
*** There is an option to sign up for a 4-WEEK “INTRO TO RACING” Program OPEN ONLY to kids coming from the Junior Development Program that wish to progress to the racing program. Eligibility is based on participation in the Development Program up to four weeks with a recommendation of the Jr Development Director.
On hill training will begin with an assigned coach for that specific age group.
8:30 – Meet at designated location for warm up stretches and team development andinstructions for the day
8:45 – Warm up and skills development to retain muscle memory
10:30 – 15 min. Bathroom and Hydration Break.
10:45 – Training in Skills Quests Environments or Snow Features
12:30 – 1:30 LUNCH
1:30 – Meet Coach at designated area for afternoon designated discipline (Stubbies SL, Tall Pole SL, GS, Duels and so on).
3:30 – Wrap up and any directions needed for next training day. (inside/outside depending on the age of the group/weather)
SEE RACE SCHEDULE BELOW
Covid-19 Parent/Athlete Education and Inherent Risk packet must be completed along with Emergency Contact Sheet which will be emailed upon receipt of sign-up.
|Before 11/30/20||After 11/30/20|
|U14, U12, U10 |
12-Week Race Program
|U14, U12, U10 |
8-Week Race Program
|Xmas Week Camp|
added to a season program
|Xmas Week Only Camp||$475||$600|
*** Please note:
Program cost does NOT include a season pass or daily lift tickets. Tickets must be purchased separately.
Helmet with chin guard and pole/hand guards required to participate.
2020-21 RACING SCHEDULE
Please note: Due to Covid–19, this a fluid situation and may change according to the Department of Health directives.
This year’s schedule includes Rip Van Winkle Council Competitions and The Mud Sweat N Gears Cup Races as the focus.
- Jan 23: U12 Hunter Mountain Kombi
- Feb 6: U12 Windham Mountain – Giant Slalom
- Feb 27-28: U12 Belleayre Mountain – Flight Camp
- U10 Athletes must be included in one race before Kandahar. Kandahar Festival for Eastern U 12/U10 Councils – First Weekend in March with Championships on the following weekend.
- Mud Sweat n Gears Eastern Division Races for U-14 DATE TBD
- Horst Derby last weekend in February. Non qualifiers may be chosen to go to Kandahar
- U14 New York State Champs the first weekend in March.
- U14 Eastern Regional Champs the second weekend in March.
- U14 Eastern Finals third weekend of March.
- U14 Eastern Can-Am fourth weekend of March.
How to be an Alpine Racers parent: Date TBD
An educational meet and greet with coaches and organizers.
Learn how to be a Gate Judge, Race day Volunteers etc…all are needed at all races. Training day TBD. Watch and help with set-up and take downs of training environments with the coaches.
Race Day Pot Luck Organizer: Volunteers needed to prepare and distribute food and drink to the racers and club members on race day.
For more info, contact: Bill Pammer, Race Director (845) 701-2306 email@example.com